Accident along Tuas Second Link causes lorry to flip over, sends crates flying

SINGAPORE — Driving along the Tuas Second Link on Tuesday (July 11), Mr Joseph Nair was approaching the Johor Bahru checkpoint when a lorry ahead of him skidded and flipped, sending crates it was carrying into the air. “(It was) like a slow-motion movie (and) quite scary,” the 30-year-old freelance photographer told TODAY over the phone. The accident took place just after 2pm about 500 metres before the checkpoint, Mr Nair said.

Images of the accident showed a lorry keeled over on its side with the crates scattered across two lanes and a grass patch next to the highway. The driver’s compartment of a second lorry had also been crushed. Johor traffic chief, Superintendent Dzulkhairi Mukhtar, told TODAY that the lorry that flipped over, which had a driver and passenger on board, was carrying chickens.

The second lorry, which was carrying only the driver, contained a chemical that had not yet been identified but was “not dangerous”. He added that “all the elements” — including the city’s fire brigade and search-and-rescue team — were despatched to secure the area. Those involved in the accident were Malaysians and they were taken to a “clinic” with injuries that were “not serious”, said Supt Dzulkhairi.

Mr Nair said that the accident left only the right-most path of the three-lane road passable to traffic. The wreckage was cleared about two hours after the accident happened, said Supt Dzulkhairi. Mr Nair said he stopped his vehicle on the road shoulder, while one of two friends who were travelling with him got out to help first.

He later joined his friend with a small first-aid kit. The driver of the lorry that flipped over, who was in his late 30s or 40s, was standing but in shock, said Mr Nair. The driver, who complained of back pains, was also bleeding from the top of his head, and Mr Nair offered him gauze to stanch the bleeding.

His passenger, who looked to be in his early 20s, was bleeding from his face and hand, and complained of pain in the mouth, added Mr Nair, who remained at the scene for between 10 and 15 minutes before leaving.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *