Garsen-Lamu motorists get security escort after terror attacks
Monday, August 7, 2017 18:43
By IRENE MUGO
Tana River county commissioner Oningoi ole Sosio. FILE PHOTO | NMG
The government has banned motorists from plying the Garsen-Witu-Lamu road without security escort.
This follows a spate of suspected terrorist attacks at Nyongoro and Lango la Simba areas in the recent past. On Monday, a lorry plying the road was blown up after running over an improvised explosive device. Tana River County Commissioner Oningoi ole Sosio said all vehicles must wait at Minjila to be escorted in convoys towards Lamu to avoid being attacked by terrorist gangs.
Vehicles will also be escorted from Mokowe in Lamu County to Minjila. Addressing the press in his Hola office on Monday, Mr Sosio warned motorists against breaching the directive. He said security officers had been deployed to the area to hunt the attackers and urged residents to remain calm.
Earlier, the government temporarily banned travelling along the road to allow the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) clear the road of improvised explosive devices (IEDs). “That was a temporary measure after the lorry was hit by an IED, but now all vehicles will have to be escorted by security agents,” Mr Sosio said. Reports also indicated that a Kipini-bound bus was hijacked and commandeered into a forest in the area.
Last week, three people, including two senior county government officials, were killed and their bodies burnt in the area by terrorists.