• Uncategorised

Tributes to ex-soldier who served in Afghanistan and Kosovo killed in Deeside lorry accident

A MAN who was tragically killed by a lorry at a paper mill has been named locally. Austin Thomas, 29, was killed when he was involved in accident with a lorry while working at UPM Shotton on Weighbridge Road on Deeside on Monday morning. Mr Thomas, from Flint, had served as a soldier with the Welsh Guards and had completed tours of Afghanistan and Kosovo.

Tributes flooded in for Mr Thomas on social media yesterday. Flint councillor Vicky Perfect, a relative of Mr Thomas, described him as a “young man who served his country in the Welsh Guards and should have had a long life ahead of him”. Mr Thomas died at the scene of the crash on Monday, and a man was taken into police custody to help officers with their inquiries.

He was released yesterday without charge. Detective Chief Inspector Neil Harrison said: “A man arrested in connection with the matter has now been released without charge and there will be no further police action. “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased at the very difficult time.”

The Health and Safety Executive was also informed, and will now take sole control of the investigation into Mr Thomas’ death. UPM Shotton confirmed the incident happened in the recovery fibre warehouse. David Ingham, general manager at UPM Shotton, previously said: “Our immediate thoughts are with the individual’s family and colleagues.

“We will provide full support to all staff involved and investigate fully with all parties.” Mr Thomas was a contract worker within the inbound recovered fibre warehouse. He was struck at 11.30am on Monday by a large bucket loader driven by another contract worker.

The bucket loader is designed to move waste paper from the floor to the recycling lines inside the warehouse as per standard operations. Mr Thomas was declared dead at the scene. The HSE has concluded interviewing of witnesses and reviewed materials relating to the incident.

North Wales Police has handed the case to HSE for sole investigation. UPM will continue to give full cooperation to their inquiry. Mr Ingham said staff affected by the incident will be offered support going forward, including counselling as required.

He added: “We’ll continue to work closely with all parties to identify the cause of the incident.

“As this remains a live investigation by HSE we are unable to provide further comment.”

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.