SA truck driver cleared over fatal crash

A driver whose truck slammed into cars, killing two people at the bottom of an Adelaide freeway, says he’s relieved all charges against him have been dropped.

Prosecutors tendered no evidence against Darren Michael Hicks on Wednesday, after an expert report revealed he could not have stopped the truck’s deadly descent in August, 2014.

Jacqueline Byrne, 41, and Thomas Spiess, 56, died when the truck ploughed into their stationary cars, and Mr Hicks lost a leg in the crash.

He had pleaded not guilty to charges including two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, and his trial was due to begin next week.

A report prepared for the court last year concluded the truck’s brakes were faulty and that neither Hicks nor his employer, Cleanaway, were aware.

District Court judge Geraldine Davison on Wednesday released Mr Hicks from his bail agreement, ending a four-year battle to clear his name.

Lawyer Mark Twiggs said outside court Mr Hicks was relieved the matter is finally finished.

Related Articles

“This was a shocking accident that should not have occurred and nothing will replace the lives lost or the persons who have suffered serious injury,” he said.

“Mr Hicks has always maintained his innocence.

“What has occurred has confirmed his belief.”

Mr Twiggs said Mr Hicks will give evidence before the court in other matters relating to the case.

(C) AAP 2018

You may also like...