'Second lorry driver' charged over Essex migrant tragedy 'is sent death threats'

Police warn ‘second lorry driver’, 22, charged over Essex migrant tragedy that his life is in ‘serious’ danger as they probe ‘death threats’ sent to his family

  • Two truck drivers face manslaughter charges over deaths of 39 people in Essex
  • Reports in Ireland suggest second man charged has received death threats
  • Comes as police in Vietnam announced they have made eight arrests 

|

Eamon Harrison, who faces extradition over the deaths of 39 migrants in a lorry container in Essex, has reportedly received death threats

A lorry driver facing extradition from Ireland over the deaths of 39 migrants in Essex has received death threats, it was reported today.

Eamon Harrison, 22, from County Down appeared in court in Dublin last week after he was charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to commit a human trafficking and assist unlawful immigration.

He is said to have driven the container in which the 39 people died to Zeebrugge, Belgium before it was shipped to Purfleet, Essex, where the bodies of those inside were found.

Harrison has been told by police in Ireland that his life is in ‘serious’ danger, the Daily Mirror reported.

A family member in Ireland told the paper: ‘We are talking about serious death threats.

‘This has been going on since the story broke over a week ago and it has now escalated since the first arrests were made.’

A spokesman for the Irish Gardai declined to comment on the claims.

'Second lorry driver' charged over Essex migrant tragedy 'is sent death threats'

Police are investigating the deaths of 39 people, thought to be Vietnamese, in Essex

Who has been arrested or charged so far? 

Lorry driver Maurice Robinson: Arrested on suspicion of murder, the 25-year-old was charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, people trafficking and money laundering. He appeared in court in Chelmsford and will appear again at the Old Bailey.

Eamon Harrison, 20, from Northern Ireland: Arrested after getting off a ferry on Saturday afternoon.A blue Scania truck that he was driving has been impounded by the police. He was charged with manslaughter and trafficking offences 

Joanna Maher, 38, and her husband Thomas, also 38: The Warrington couple who previously told MailOnline they had sold the container are understood to have been held on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and on suspicion of 39 counts of manslaughter.

They have been bailed until next month. 

Man, 48, from Northern Ireland: The latest arrest took place at Stansted Airport. The identity of the man has not yet been revealed, but police said he has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and suspicion of manslaughter.

Eight people in Vietnam: Police have announced they arrested eight people on Sunday November 3. None have been named  

WANTED:  British police on Friday asked two other suspects, brothers Ronan and Christopher Hughes, to turn themselves in.

Police say they have already spoke to Ronan Hughes by telephone but want to talk to the two in person.

They are also wanted for manslaughter and trafficking charges. 

Essex Police has started extradition proceedings to bring Harrison from Ireland to the UK to face the charges in the next few weeks.

Harrison faces the same charges as Mo Robinson, 25, who picked up the -25C trailer from Purfleet port on Wednesday, October 23.

He is said to have been arrested while coming off an Irish ferry at Dublin Port for two unrelated offences. His lorry was also impounded by armed police.

Detectives have also urged Ronan Hughes, 40, and his brother Christopher, 34, said to have links with the road haulage and shipping industries, to hand themselves in.

The pair, from Armagh in Northern Ireland, are wanted on suspicion of manslaughter and human trafficking.

Today, police in Vietnam announced that they have arrested eight people in connection with the 39 deaths. The group were detained yesterday on suspicion of organising people smuggling overseas.

A total of 31 men and eight women were discovered in the back of the refrigerated truck in Grays.

They are thought to have been Vietnamese.

A spokeswoman for Vietanam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs called the incident a ‘serious humanitarian tragedy’.

On Saturday, a remembrance service for the victims was held at the Church of the Holy Name and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Bow, east London, which has a large Vietnamese congregation.

Reverend Simon Nguyen said that the church has assisted with the investigation into the tragedy, including working with the police.

'Second lorry driver' charged over Essex migrant tragedy 'is sent death threats' 'Second lorry driver' charged over Essex migrant tragedy 'is sent death threats'

Pham Tra My, 26, was the first person named by family as among the 39 dead in the container tragedy and it appears she may have been deported from Britain days earlier

'Second lorry driver' charged over Essex migrant tragedy 'is sent death threats'

This is the last photo of 15-year-old Nguyen Huy Hung, who has been missing since he tried to cross illegally to Britain, his family claim

 

You may also like...