Two lorry drivers rushed to hospital after head-on smash on Rugby Road in Lutterworth

File image. Copyright: jpimedia The drivers have suffered “life-changing” injuries after the devastating head-on smash on the A426 Rugby Road at about 1.55am.

One of the lorries involved in the collision was an NHS Supply Chain truck. Six fire engines backed up by a fire heavy rescue unit dashed to the scene as well as police, ambulances, paramedics and the regional air ambulance. Over 20 firefighters battled to free the two trapped drivers in pitch-black darkness.

The two men were ferried by ambulance to the University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire. They remain in hospital where their condition is described as “life-changing”, said Leicestershire Police. A fire engine from Lutterworth, one fire engine from Kibworth and two fire engines from Rugby as well as a Technical Rescue Heavy Rescue Unit from Leicester’s Southern Station raced to tackle the accident.

The fire officer in charge then requested another two fire engines to go and help them as a full-scale 999 operation was quickly stepped up. Police were called to the scene by East Midlands Ambulance Service. The busy A426 was closed from the Spitfire Island on the edge of Lutterworth to the junction of Shawell Road.

Specialist police officers launched an urgent investigation as they try to establish how the crash happened. Police are now appealing for any eye-witnesses to contact them. Det Con Anita Rose, of Leicestershire Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “We would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the collision itself or the vehicles being driven beforehand.

“If anyone has a dashcam installed in their vehicle and captured what happened they are also urged to get in touch.” If you saw the crash then please call police on 101 quoting incident 21 of 20 March. Meanwhile, the emergency services also scrambled to tackle a two-car collision in Horninghold Road, Hallaton, near Market Harborough.

The accident happened at about midday on Friday.

A fire engine from Market Harborough and an engine from Uppingham were srnt to the scene.

Firefighters were being forced to cut the roof off one car to free a trapped person as the crash paralysed traffic in Hallaton.

You may also like...