Simpson: more electrification vital to decarbonise rail freight
Further electrification is vital for rail freight to decarbonise, says Rail Freight Group Director General Maggie Simpson. “We need more investment in the overhead electrified network. Rail freight can play a significant part in decarbonising freight in the UK – particularly on trunk routes,” Simpson told a Smart Transport online seminar on April 9, on the challenges and opportunities for the freight and logistics industry over the next 30 years.
She said that the COVID-19 pandemic had “focused minds” on why freight is important, adding that rail freight today emits 76% less CO2 than road haulage. Simpson also took the opportunity to highlight the ease of access into city centres that rail freight often enjoys: “Rail can get into city centres. Day in, day out, rail freight is getting into them, often for construction.
It may not look like the sexiest operation you’ve seen – but it is fundamental.”
- For the FULL story, read RAIL 903, published on April 22, and available digitally now.
- ECHG Garden Hose Spray Gun with Full Brass Nozzle, High Pressure Heavy Duty...
SALE PRICE: £16.99 [High quality] Full soil brass nozzle and high-quality zinc alloy gun body, sturdy and durable, able to resist high water […]
- Juicer, Aicook Professional 3 Speed Juicer Extractor Whole Fruit and Vegetable,...
RRP PRICE: £43.99SALE PRICE: £35.99YOU SAVE: £8.00 About this item 2021 Upgraded Centrifugal Juicer – The combination of the newest motor and […]
- Harpic Active Fresh Toilet Cleaning Gel 750ml – Citrus Zest, Pack of 12
SALE PRICE: £16.68 About this item Leaves your toilet smelling fresh for hours Kills 99.9% of bacteria Removes limescale and stains Easily reaches […]
- Copper Knee Support for Arthritis Knees – knee support brace for Joint Pain...
RRP PRICE: £12.98SALE PRICE: £11.49YOU SAVE: £1.49 About this item [Single]Ergonomically designed Copper Knee support, with the best compression […]