A494 lorry driver arrested after being pulled from burning vehicle by passersby

A lorry driver was arrested after being pulled from his burning vehicle when it overturned on the A494. Emergency services were called to the dual carriageway at Queensferry in Flintshire on Wednesday evening when the lorry overturned on the carriageway and crashed into the central barrier. Fellow motorists stopped at the scene and pulled the driver from the lorry after it caught fire.

He was then arrested after allegedly failing a roadside breath test, police said. A North Wales Police spokesman said: "We were called at 9.39pm to a single-vehicle RTC involving a Volvo articulated lorry on the A494 Queensferry/Ewloe westbound.

An overturned lorry causes the A494 at Queensferry to be closed in both directions on Wednesday evening.

"The driver, 44, was arrested after failing a breath test." The spokesman added that the driver was not seriously hurt as a result of the collision.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman added: "We were called on Wednesday 20 May at approximately 9.42pm to reports of a road traffic incident on the A494, Queensferry. "We responded with one emergency ambulance and one rapid response vehicle.

Video LoadingVideo UnavailableClick to play Tap to playThe video will start in8Cancel

"One patient was transported to the Countess of Chester Hospital." Fire crews from Deeside and Buckley were also called to the scene after the lorry caught fire.

A spokesman said: "We were called just before 9.40pm to a report of a HGV having overturned into the metal barrier. "One person was assisted out of the vehicle by passersby.

A494 lorry driver arrested after being pulled from burning vehicle by passersbyThe A494 remains closed on Thursday morning at Queensferry interchange after a lorry overturned on Wednesday evening

"There was a small fire located in the wheel arch area. "One male was taken to hospital with slight injuries."

The A494 was shut in both directions as a result of the crash, which caused severe damage to the central reservation. Overnight, the lorry was recovered from the scene of the crash, but the road remained shut in both directions on Thursday morning while repairs took place and inspections were carried out on the bridge. Traffic was diverted off the road at Queensferry through the morning, leading to moderate delays for drivers.

Traffic Wales estimated that the road would reopen late on Thursday morning.

You may also like...