Dad escapes jail after sharing video of man sexually abusing baby

A father-of-four who was caught sharing a "horrendous" video showing a man sexually abusing a baby has been spared jail. Aghahowa Evbuomwan said he was sent the four-and-a-half minute clip on Whatsapp and had only sent it to another person in "a misguided attempt to spread awareness". In a hearing at Bolton Crown Court today, Judge Graeme Smith was told that police had begun to investigate the 47-year-old in 2018 after an incident at the offices of XPO Logistics in Leigh, where he worked as a HGV driver.

Evbuomwan had been sat in the canteen following his shift and was looking at something on his phone when the sounds coming from the device attracted the attention of other drivers.

Read More
Related Articles
Read More
Related Articles

"He was on shift on the night of July 15 and was in the canteen after work with his colleagues," explained Alison Mather, prosecuting. "A colleague could hear from the mobile phone a baby crying. He looked over and the defendant showed him the phone and said, 'look, look, baby having sex'."

The concerned co-worker immediately told him to get rid of the video while a second driver, who heard the audio, said it sounded like the child was being beaten. They later told their manager about what they had seen. Police then raided the home of Evbuomwan, in Derby Street, Bolton, confiscating a number of electrical items.

They found he had shared the clip with another person on Whatsapp and had included the message: "Be mindful of your girl child please. "These are all signs of the end time. May the light protect your children."

Despite searching Evbuomwan's home and devices, investigators found no evidence of any other similar videos or pictures. Defending him, Katie Laverty told the court the defendant was "extremely remorseful". "At the age of 47 he was a man of good character and these actions can be described as properly out of character," she said.

"This appears to have been an extremely misguided attempt to spread awareness of such a horrendous act." She explained that Evboumwan, who has a strong religious belief, had struggled with family problems since the investigation began and had sent his two youngest children, aged ten and 16, to live with their older siblings in Italy, where he lived before moving to Bolton. "There was no evidence to suggest that he has any kind of interest in children despite a number of items being searched or that he had any sexual gratification," she added.

"He's fully aware of the serious nature of these offences. The case had been a very real wake up call and he never wants to be in this situation again."

Police raided a home in Derby Street

Evbuomwan had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to one count of possessing an indecent image of a child and another count of distributing that image. Speaking directly to him, Judge Smith told the man he should not have shared the video, regardless of his intentions.

He said: "You are, as we've heard, a hardworking and religious family man. "Your references show that you have a strong faith and it appears to have been out of a misguided belief that you were warning others that you shared this image." He added: "But, it is possible to warn others of things like that without sharing the image and by doing that you have allowed this cycle to continue."

Evbuomwan was spared jail and was handed a two year community order along with eight days of rehabilitation sessions and 60 hours unpaid work.

He will also be required to tell police about any changes in his name or where he lives for the next five years.

You may also like...