Principal Transport Strategy Officer job with Essex County Council
“Are you a highly motivated, experienced senior or principal transport planner who understands the complexities of delivery of large scale and strategic sites and proposals? Are you looking for a new, different and interesting challenge working for a highly motivated team addressing the infrastructure challenge of a new nuclear power station?
The Principal Transport Strategy Officer engages with strategic partners, to support and influence the development of a sustainable travel solution to incorporate sea, rail and road transport strategy for the construction and operation of the Bradwell B (BrB) Nuclear Power Station.
The role will act as the single point of contact with BrB, Highways England, Network Rail and other transportation related stakeholders. The role assembles technical advice, policies, initiatives, schemes and measures to integrate sea, rail and land transportation provision.
The role will be dedicated to supporting and influencing BrB to develop and deliver a sustainable Transport Strategy.
The role is accountable for:
* Providing the Council and BrB’s transportation leads with advice on, sea, rail and road transportation matters in relation to master planning, and the BrB DCO application process
* Support the political objective of ECC to minimise carbon outputs resulting from the transport strategy
* Working collaboratively and managing complex issues to support the delivery of best possible outcomes for our communities on environmental and traffic congestion issues relating to BrB
* Maintaining and nurturing collaborative relationships with other teams in the function and external organisations.
* Effective utilisation of digital technologies and innovation across the function
* Celebrating Equality and Diversity and ensuring it is considered as part of all decisions taken You will be responsible for: * Maximising alternative opportunities to private car use and road freight movements to enable sustainable development of a transportation infrastructure.
* Developing and advising on strategic objectives, initiatives and plans for transport.
* Leading on the production of implementation plans of land use and transport proposals and working collaboratively with stakeholders to co-ordinate infrastructure investment through the local transport plan and development management process to achieve consistent and progressive economic growth and development outcomes.
* Working collaboratively to assess the current strategic transport networks and forecast future performance under the BrB proposals
* Providing support to senior leaders to ensure that media and public relations implications of BrB transportation issues are handled sensitively and proactively;
Could this be you? For an informal chat with one of the team, please email your preferred contact details to mailto:Growth& Knowledge, skills and experience * Degree level education in related numerate, social science or humanities subject or equivalent experience; a Post Graduate qualification in Transport (MSc or Diploma) or equivalent experience is desirable.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
* Significant post qualification experience in the field of land use and transport planning or civil engineering.
* Extensive knowledge of transport planning policy and practice including knowledge of the development plan system and planning legislation and the inter relationship between transportation and the development process;
* Demonstrable knowledge of managing the development and implementation of major schemes including statutory processes involved with these activities.
* Excellent written, verbal, listening and presentation skills to a variety of audiences including presenting information to elected Members at formal and informal level, other stakeholders and the BrB development Team
* Good understanding of town and country planning processes, major development proposals and highway and transportation major project implementation.
* Demonstrable understanding and experience in using project management methodologies.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.