Man dies after being hit by lorry at Harwich International Port

A MAN has tragically died after being struck down by a lorry at a north Essex seaport which officers believe could have been being driven dangerously. Essex Police were called to the Harwich International Port at about 5pm last Thursday. The force had received reports of a serious incident involving a pedestrian and a lorry.

Upon arrival it was established a man in his 50s had been hit by a lorry while it was travelling in the port’s parking area. Sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone at the scene, the casualty was pronounced dead. Shortly after a46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and remains in custody for questioning.

An investigation has now been launched by the police who are eager to gather any evidence and information from witnesses. A spokesman for Essex Police said: “We are keen to speak to any witnesses, particularly lorry drivers who were in the area at the time and have dash cam footage.” Since the news of the man’s death broke, there has been an outpouring of condolences shared on social media from shocked residents.

It has also been suggested the man may have been a lorry driver himself who had been struck after either leaving or while heading towards his own vehicle. A spokesman for Hutchinson Ports, which runs the Harwich International Port, has confirmed an internal investigation has now been launched. They have also sent their well-wishes to the family and loved ones of the victim. 

They said: “We cannot comment pending investigations by the police and the health and safety executive but our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of the deceased.”

Anyone with information or video footage should contact the serious collision investigation unit by emailing collisionappeal@essex.pnn.police.uk or call 101.