A1 closed after major accident
The A1 is closed southbound between the A607 near Grantham and the A606 near Stamford due to a serious crash. Emergency services including police, fire and rescue and paramedics are at the scene – a stretch of road between Tickencote and Stretton. The crash happened shortly after midday and it is understood two HGVs were involved.
Rutland Police Tweeted this picture of the closed A1
There are long delays at the junction of the closure.
The road is not expected to reopen until 8pm today (Tuesday, February 9).
Highways England is advising drivers to follow the hollow diamond diversion route:
- Exit A1 at A607 Harlaxton southbound junction
- Continue along the slip road and straight over the Swingbridge Road Roundabout
- At end of the slip road, turn right onto A606 and continue westbound
- Go straight at Farmers Arms Pub Roundabout and continue along the A606 through of Harlaxton, Croxton Kerrial, Waltham on the Wolds and Thorpe Arnold to Melton Mowbray
- At the A607/A606/B676 Norman Way/Thorpe Lane junction, continue straight ahead onto the A606 Thorpe End and Sherrand Street, and then turn left onto Burton Street heading south out of Melton Mowbray
- Continue along A606 through villages of Burton Lazars and Langham to Barleythorpe Roundabout at the northern end of Oakham Bypass.
- At Barleythorpe Roundabout, turn left, onto the Okaham Bypass and continue straight over the Railway Bridge Roundabout, Ashwell Roundabout, and A606/B668 roundabout to the A606/A6003/B640 roundabout
- Turn left and continue on the A606 through villages of Whitwell and Empingham to the A1/A606 Stamford southbound junction, turn left onto the slip road and re-join the A1
The A1 southbound near Grantham this afternoon