Stolen lorry over turns following 'police chase' in West Belfast

An alleged stolen lorry overturned onto the footpath following a “police chase” in West Belfast tonight. A witness at the scene said they were terrified to see the “7.5 tonne truck” fall and slide along the pavement on the Springfield Road at around 9.30pm. Before this it damaged seven different cars as it “wreaked havoc” during the incident.

It is claimed that the lorry had travelled from the Oldpark area and had been followed by police on the Springfield Road. The vehicle then allegedly overturned after police tried to stop it.

Read More
Related Articles
Read More
Related Articles

A witness at the scene said: “It was terrifying to see this 7.5 tonne truck fall over and slide along the pavement, if anyone was there at the time they would have been dead. “I saw it come down from the West Circular roundabout onto the Springfield Road with two people inside and the police behind it and when they tried to get it to stop it overturned.

It was an NIE lorry and the back of it was completely full. It has destroyed the wall of the hostel.” Deputy Lord Mayor and North Belfast councillor Paul McCusker said that whoever took part in the incident had “put everyone’s lives in danger”.

He said: “Tonight an NIE van was hijacked in North Belfast and crashed on the Springfield Road. Those who done this put everyone’s life in danger. Thankfully they have been caught by police, this is mindless and staff from NIE who go out to serve our communities don’t deserve it at all.

Will be in contact with NIE to send my support to the staff members involved in this horrible incident and I know that North Belfast will stand with them.” North Belfast councillor Conor Maskey said: “An NIE van, hijacked in Oldpark and intercepted Springfield Rd wreaked havoc in North Belfast en route – including damaging 7 cars in Henderson Avenue! Thankfully nobody else hurt and 2 people apprehended- madness in the times we’re in.

Continuing to talk with Henderson residents.” It is understood that at least one person was arrested following the incident. It is not yet known if anyone has suffered any injuries.

The PSNI have been contacted for comment.

You may also like...