Rubbish truck catches fire on its rounds in Somerset today

A RUBBISH truck was taken out of service earlier today after it caught fire. Sharp-eyed crew spotted sparks and flames coming from the back of the vehicle. The fire was caused by household batteries crushed in the compactor.

Two fire crews were sent to the incident in Wincanton. A Somerset Waste Partnership spokesperson said: “All crew safe and their truck – which came from the Yeovil depot – was escorted to empty its load safely at Dimmer landfill site.” A second truck was sent out to complete the round.

The SWP spokesperson urged people not to put batteries in their rubbish – they should be taken to any recycling site, supermarket or electrical store.