Volvo Group breaks ground on vehicle propulsion lab
The Volvo Group on Wednesday announced a £33 million expansion of its powertrain research and development site in Hagerstown, Maryland for the construction of a new, state-of-the-art vehicle propulsion lab (VPL), during a groundbreaking ceremony. Volvo’s VPL will be the first facility in North America to allow comprehensive testing of current and future products for Volvo Trucks, Mack Trucks, Prevost and Volvo Bus to meet evolving government regulations and ensure high performance on the diverse North American roadways. Housed under one roof, the lab will consist of two environmental chambers.
One chamber will have a chassis dyno capable of emissions measurements and simulating extreme-weather and altitude conditions.
Volvo Group executives were joined by Maryland politicians at a groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of a new, state-of-the-art Vehicle Propulsion Lab in Hagerstown, Maryland. (Photo: Volvo Group)
The second will offer testing of fully operative vehicles, including highway and vocational trucks, as well as coach buses, for starting in a variety of weather conditions. “The Hagerstown powertrain technology site plays a significant role in the Volvo Group’s efforts to offer advanced transportation solutions that meet customers’ needs today and down the road,” said Lars Stenqvist, chief technology officer of the Volvo Group. “The all-new VPL, slated to open in the second quarter of 2023, will enable us the ability to more quickly develop and test battery-electric and hydrogen-based fuel cell solutions, as well as internal combustion engines, which will be powered by fossil-free fuels in the future, for our Class 8 trucks and coach buses.”
Additional testing features in the VPL will include:
- Operating from -22 degrees F to 104 degrees F (-30 C to +40 C) for development and verification activities;
- Wind speed simulation up to 85 mph (137 km/h);
- Vehicle absorbing and motoring capability up to 1600 horsepower (1200 kW);
- Altitude simulation up to 14,000 feet (4270 meters);
- Various types of performance and emissions testing for battery electric, fuel cell, hybrid, natural gas and diesel technologies; and
- Capability to test highway and vocational Class 8 trucks and coach buses for North American, South American and European applications.
“Our engineers currently rely on long-distance travel for extreme-weather testing or tap various third-party labs that specialize in specific types of testing,” said Audley Brown, vice president of powertrain engineering for Volvo Group North America. “The VPL will be one of the few places in operation that offers vehicle emissions and on-board diagnostics requirements at all expected operating conditions for trucks, buses and powertrains.” The company also expects the new lab to help drive ongoing product-quality improvements and speed-to-market capabilities due to the strategic migration from on-road testing to controlled, lab-environment testing.
The VPL will be more than 35,000 square feet and consist of two environmental chambers. (Photo: Volvo Group)
At final construction, the VPL will be more than 35,000 square feet (more than 3,300 square meters), two stories high and connected to the existing engine development lab on the Hagerstown campus. It’s been 15 years since the current lab went into operation, which involved a £40 million investment at the time.
Since then, the company has spent an additional £12 million upgrading the test cells, a portion of which was used to enable the creation of electricity regeneration when operating the dyno tests.
The Volvo Group employs more than 250 people at the current site from engineering, procurement, environmental, health and safety functions, and the new VPL will add around 10 new jobs, including both non-bargaining and United Auto Workers union-represented team members.
The company’s Hagerstown campus is also home to the Volvo Group’s powertrain manufacturing facility, producing engines, transmissions and axles for Mack Trucks, Volvo Trucks, Prevost coaches and Volvo Buses sold in North America.
- Solar lantern outdoor flickering hanging lights led flameless candles...
SALE PRICE: £10.50YOU SAVE: £2.00 ☀ Solar panel Flickering amber light ✅ Hanging clip IP65 waterproof ☀ Auto ON/OFF – The lantern will be […]
- Grill Cover, BBQ Cover BBQ Accessories Protection Cover Heavy Duty Rip-Proof,...
SALE PRICE: £10.99YOU SAVE: £1.00 Check Offer Price SKU: B07M6Q7XBD Dimensions: 28.6 x 25.4 x 4.4 cm; 160 Grams Check Offer Price
- Nioslier Kids Gardening Tools Set, Easy To Carry And Foldaway Children...
SALE PRICE: £15.85YOU SAVE: £2.13 Has rounded edges that make tools for kids safe. Includes watering can, gloves, shovel, rake, fork and bag. Have […]
- Ulalaza Solar Wind Chime Outdoor LED Color Hanging Dog lamp Mobile Solar Lights...
SALE PRICE: £13.99YOU SAVE: £1.00 【HIGH QUALITY MEMORIAL WIND CHIME】Equipped with sensitive light sensor as well as high quality and durable […]
- POHOVE Fly Repellent Fan, Bugs Repellent Fan, Portable Table Fly Fan, Indoor...
SALE PRICE: £17.99YOU SAVE: £2.00 KEEPS FLY OFF FOOD: Fly fan is a light-weight, odor-free fan you place on top of your outdoor or picnic table to […]
- Noma Solar Woodland Border Light, 30cm
RRP PRICE: £19.99SALE PRICE: £15.49YOU SAVE: £4.50 Woodland border light with warm white solar powered LED This product is powered using Noma’s […]
- 2018 Upgrade 4-Blade Heat Powered Fan for Wood Burning Stove Log Burner...
SALE PRICE: £23.91YOU SAVE: £5.98 Eco Friendly and Self Powered- Powered by heat, speed automatically controlled by temperature of the stove top. […]
- Bosch AQT High Pressure Washer Variable Fan Lance (Compatible with Bosch...
RRP PRICE: £21.37SALE PRICE: £19.99YOU SAVE: £1.38 Adjustable jet Compatible with Bosch Pressure Washers: AQT 45-15 X Check Offer Price Product […]
- Solar Disk Lights ,4 Packs Solar Powered Ground Lights Outdoor , IP 65...
SALE PRICE: £13.99YOU SAVE: £2.10 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. 【DECKING LIGHTS WITH SENSOR】Because of the […]
- Garland GAL18MP3 3 x Mini High-Dome Propagators, Green, 13x17x13 cm
RRP PRICE: £11.65SALE PRICE: £11.09YOU SAVE: £0.56 Quarter-sized, high-domed propagator Shatter-resistant, Crystal clear, high lid Measurements: […]