Ellesmere Port pair who kidnapped 18-year-old over £3k debt jailed

TWO men who kidnapped an 18-year-old in Ellesmere Port over a GBP3,000 debt have been jailed. Charlie Hackney, 24 and Jake Parr, 21, had both pleaded guilty to the kidnap of 18-year-old Issac Weaver. They also admitted assault causing actual bodily harm on him, and stealing his GBP400 pedal cycle.

CCTV footage played at Chester Crown Court on Tuesday, August 31, showed Hackney, of Durham Court, Ellesmere Port and Parr, of Valley Drive, Ellesmere Port, wearing hi-vis jackets as they threw their victim off his bike and dragged him into a tipper truck, where he was jabbed with an axe handle and a broom handle. Judge Patrick Thompson jailed the pair for three years each. Prosecuting, Chris Hopkins said it was the morning of June 9 when the victim, Issac Weaver, had been to the shops on Alnwick Drive, when he received a call from his mother, explaining that some lads had been at the house claiming Mr Weaver owed them money.

The court heard Parr was owed GBP3,000. As Mr Weaver went into Bunbury Green, he saw a tipper truck arrive and two men in hi-vis jackets came out, along with a third man who was not wearing a hi-vis jacket and, Mr Hopkins said, has not yet been arrested for his part in the crime. Both Hackney and Parr dragged Mr Weaver off the bike and began repeatedly kicking him on the ground, before getting him in the tipper truck, kidnapping him, while the third man took the bike and put in into the truck.

Mr Weaver could feel blood running from his head, and had blood on his clothes. The vehicle drove down Alnwick Drive towards Ewloe Court, and it was here that Mr Weaver’s parents followed in their car, with the victim’s father beeping his horn continuously. The victim’s father pulled up by the tipper truck so it could not move out of the way, and the third man got out with a piece of wood and briefly threatened them with it.

Mr Weaver was then returned to his parents and the vehicle drove off with the pedal cycle in it. The victim chose not to give a statement, but had injuries including a gash above the eye, bleeding to the back of the head and a cut inside the mouth. Both defendants gave a ‘no comment’ interview.

Parr had one previous caution for possession of cannabis and Hackney had one previous conviction for burglary in 2017, which again was chasing up a debt, as the flat was trashed and the message “money now you t**” was scrawled on the wall. Hackney received an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. Mark Connor, defending Parr, said the defendant was “very remorseful” and he had been a hard-working young man since the age of 16.

He had completed a welding course in custody and was determined to “lead a law-abiding life”, with the support of his family. The kidnapping was “nasty” but the incident had not lasted relatively long for an offence of this type, being over in a matter of minutes. Parr was a young man “with real prospects” who could be a real credit to his family and himself.

Peter Killen, defending Hackney, said he would repeat many of the points raised by Mr Connor in respect of Hackney, who had also completed a welding course and was also a hard-working man who had the support of his family. He was described as a low risk of reoffending by a pre-sentence report.

Judge Patrick Thompson at Chester Crown Court. Picture by Andrew Price/View Finder Pictures.

Judge Patrick Thompson at Chester Crown Court.

Picture by Andrew Price/View Finder Pictures. Judge Thompson, sentencing, said: “To find both of you standing in the dock in the crown court must be shocking to your families. To get involved with this was madness.

“You have entered into criminal offending in a very serious way. “Whatever the reason the money was owed, I don’t know and I am not going to enquire. But this is not New York in the times of the Mafia where people sort something debt-related themselves; there are other ways of resolving it, not dragging an 18-year-old into a van, with weapons.

“You should be grateful to his parents for following him and preventing this from being any worse.

“It was bullying, nasty, terrifying and pre-planned.”

As well as the three-year prison sentence, both defendants were handed a five-year restraining order preventing them from contacting the victim or his immediate family in any way, or enter the victim’s street of their address.