Driver who crashed car into couple’s wall and then lied that it was stolen is jailed and banned from the road

A driver who crashed his car into a retired couple’s property, fled the scene and then falsely reported it had been stolen has been jailed for a year and banned from the road. Terry Walsh, 45, of Malvern Close in High Wycombe, crashed his truck in Church Road in Penn on September 13, 2019, leaving a trail of destruction and causing thousands of pounds of damage. The crash – which only involved Walsh’s car – left the vehicle completely destroyed in the road and ruined a retired couple’s garden, brick wall and their gate.

After fleeing the scene of devastation he had caused, Walsh then lied that his vehicle had actually been stolen by a thief and that it was not him driving at the time of the crash. Thames Valley Police launched a detailed investigation and found proof that Walsh had been in his truck on the day of the crash, despite his claims it was been snatched. Despite the proof offered by officers, Walsh still tried to lie and cover his tracks – but fortunately a jury saw through his excuses at a two-day trial at Amersham Crown Court on September 16 and found him guilty of one count of perverting the course of justice.

Walsh was hauled in front of a judge again on Monday, October 25, in Birmingham, where he was jailed for 12 months and banned from driving for a year and a half. Investigating officer PC Dawn Seston, of the Joint Operations Roads Policing Unit, slammed Walsh for wasting valuable police time by lying. She said: “Thames Valley Police investigated the collision and forensic examinations proved that Walsh was in his vehicle on the day of the collision.

“When faced with this overwhelming evidence, Walsh continued to try and lie to cover his involvement in the collision.

“Walsh has wasted both police and court time over what was a very minor incident.

“Anybody who provides false or malicious information designed to hinder a police investigation can expect to be the subject of a thorough and robust police investigation and in such cases we will continue to work closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to prosecute those responsible.”