Man arrested on suspicion of arson after Salford fire

A man has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a house fire in Salford. Neighbours say they heard a ‘loud bang’ as the terraced house in Charlestown went up in flames in the early hours of Wednesday. A man who ‘stumbled’ out of the burning house was then attacked in the street by three other men who accused him of causing the fire, witnesses said.

It’s understood investigators have not found any evidence of an explosive device at the property on Strawberry Hill. : Truck full of Birds Eye potato waffles destroyed after lorry catches fire on the M6 One man was taken to hospital following the blaze which broke out just before 1am.

The nature and extent of his injuries have not been revealed. One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “There was a really loud bang. My floor shook.

Forensics officers at the scene on Wednesday

“We went outside and that’s when it all kicked off.

A guy came out of the house. He was stumbling around and looked to be in a bad way. “He fell on the floor and then got kicked in the head by one of the other men.

“They were shouting ‘Why are you trying to kill us?’ “He was on the floor for ages.”

Man arrested on suspicion of arson after Salford fireFirefighters were called to the scene in the early hours of Wednesday

Another neighbour said: “All these men came out of the house. “They pulled this guy out and started screaming at him.

They were beating him up, but he wasn’t really doing anything. “He had rubber gloves on and he just sat there taking it. “They brought something out of the house that was on fire.

I had no idea what it was. “Then three fire engines and six police cars turned up. “They taped off all the street and told us it was would be a while before we could get back in so they could do a full investigation.”

Man arrested on suspicion of arson after Salford fireThe house was cordoned off on Wednesday

On Wednesday morning the house remained cordoned off.

Police and fire service forensic investigators were at the scene. At one point forensics officers were seen to leave the property carrying a large brown evidence bag. A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said: “At 12.47am this morning (October 6) police were called by the fire service to the scene of a fire at a property on Strawberry Hill, Salford.

“Officers attended and a 41-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of arson. He remains in custody for questioning. “No serious injuries were reported and a full investigation has begun to establish the cause of the fire.”

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: At approximately 12.40am on Wednesday, October 6, firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a property on Strawberry Hill, in Salford.

“Two fire engines from Salford station quickly attended the scene. “The fire involved a bedroom on the first floor of a terraced house. “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels and a ladder to extinguish the fire.

“One man was conveyed to hospital by colleagues from North West Ambulance Service. Firefighters were in attendance for a number of hours.” A spokesperson for North West Ambulance service said paramedics were called to Strawberry Hill at 12.42am to ‘an incident involving the fire service’.

One man was taken to hospital.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link