Pets At Home worker died from ‘mechanical asphyxiation’

A warehouse worker at a Pets at Home store in Staffordshire died as a result of a ‘brain injury’ following a horror accident. Shaun Potter was injured whilst operating a forklift at the store chain’s warehouse in Campbell Road, Stoke, on October 4, Stoke-on-TrentLive reports. He was rushed to the Royal Stoke University Hospital by air ambulance, but tragically succumbed to his injuries four days later on October 8.

top stories from inquests An inquest into his death has been formally opened and adjourned for a pre-inquest review, which will take place next year on February 4. The forklift driver’s cause of death was given as hypoxic brain injury and accidental mechanical asphyxiation and entrapment.

Area coroner Emma Serrano said: “This gentleman had an accident whilst he was at work while driving a forklift truck which led to the entrapment which led to the accidental mechanical asphyxiation. “This is not a natural cause of death; it’s a violent or unnatural cause of death. That means an inquest must take place.

“In addition because he had an accident at work which led to him passing away this is going to be an inquest which requires a jury.” In the wake of his death, Shaun’s loved ones paid tribute to him. Shaun’s sister Louise Marie said: “Rip Shaun bro, we will all miss you.

This should never have happened to you. You will forever be in our hearts and your girlfriend’s and your daughters.

  • Get the latest news stories emailed straight to your inbox – click here

“You had so much to live for and we are absolutely devastated that you are gone. You will always be my big brother.

“Love you always bro.

I will see you up there soon.”

Shaun’s brother Wayne Potter added: “Fly high brother, one day we will fly again together.”