Warning after common household item causes Worthing bin lorry fire

Worthing residents are being urged to carefully dispose of household batteries after a fire broke out in a bin lorry. The vehicle caught fire on Christchurch Road in the town centre at around 9.30am this morning (November 23). Quick-thinking bin crew emptied the contents of the lorry onto the road to prevent the vehicle from catching alight after noticing the blaze while on their daily rounds.

: Worthing bin lorry fire leaves road covered in piles of burnt rubbish As a result, a huge mound of burned rubbish was strewn across the road as fire crews worked to extinguish the fire.

Join SussexLive and sign up to our newsletter

You can sign up to SussexLive and comment on our stories by pressing here and logging in. Signing up to the SussexLive newsletter means you’ll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn’t be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms. The road was closed for several hours, however, no one was injured and the truck suffered minimal damage.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a household battery which ignited after being thrown out with general waste. Household batteries are among a number of items, including gas canisters and paint tins, which are considered a major fire hazard. Adur & Worthing Council has warned that they should not be put into the general waste and cannot be recycled.

Warning after common household item causes Worthing bin lorry fireChristchurch Road in Worthing was closed for several hours

Instead, they should be taken to the recycling sites in Worthing and Shoreham where they can be disposed of carefully.

A spokesperson for Adur & Worthing Councils said: “Old batteries thrown out in the household waste can be extremely dangerous, which is why they need to be disposed of properly at recycling sites or in battery collection bins at major shops.

“Thankfully the bin crew were able to take swift action to prevent a fire in the lorry, which could have resulted in far more serious consequences.”

Sign up to get the latest stories from Sussex direct to your inbox here.