11 TV series and films you may not have known were filmed in Warrington
FROM the Second World War based films to Netlix dramas, Warrington has been used as a backdrop for an abundance of filming. Many areas across the town have been chosen as locations for films and series – including Culcheth, Orford, Walton and Woolston. Here are 10 television programmes and films that were filmed on our doorstep:
1) Yanks (1979) Set during Second World War, this drama follows the relationship an American man and British woman. A variety of British locations were used in this movie – Warrington included, which was released over 40 years ago.
The canal scene of this movie was set in the village of Moore. 2) Our Zoo (2014) This BBC drama series is about the family who founded Chester Zoo in the 1930s.
Many areas across Cheshire feature in the show, including Warrington. Walton Hall masquerades as the Oakfield House in the show and its exteriors can be seen in various episodes. Set designers even built a penguin enclosure where the bandstand is and had a camel in the grounds for filming.
Walton Hall masquerades as the Oakfield House in the show.
3) The Evermoor Chronicles (2015) Warrington also appealed to Disney who filmed a fantasy adventure series in the town. The Evermoor Chronicles tells the story of a girl who moves to the village of Evermoor with her famous novelist mother – but realises the English countryside is not as sleepy as it seems.
The crew filmed at a studio in Hardwick Grange in Woolston with stately home Arley Hall, near Appleton Thorn, portraying the exterior of Evermoor Manor.
The crew filmed at a studio in Hardwick Grange in Woolston 4) Ordinary Lies (2015) The first episode of Ordinary Lies featured various locations across Warrington.
It was set at John Stuart Car Superstore on Orford Lane, Orford. The Warrington car store doubled for ‘Jack Stevenson Motors’ in the drama series, which starred Jason Manford, Max Beesley and Michelle Keegan. A Great Sankey youngster, Kameron Cowan, played Jason’s son in the six-part drama.
Parts of the episode based at Jason’s house were filmed in Chapelford, while viewers will also remember locations such as The Orford Hotel and Warrington Collegiate, which is now known as Warrington and Vale Royal College.
Ordinary Lies was set at John Stuart Car Superstore on Orford Lane, Orford. 5) Safe (2018) Safe is an eight-episode crime series with parts of it filmed in Warrington.
Tom’s gated community home in the show was actually located in Stockton Heath. The impressive property even featured a swimming pool. Rostherne in Cheshire also featured in the show.
6) The Voice (2018) A promo for the 2018 series of The Voice was filmed in the town. The hit ITV talent show’s judges will.i.am, Olly Murs, Tom Jones and Jennifer Hudson visited town in October that year in order to film the advert at the Parr Hall.
Host Emma Willis was also on set. The clip to promote the series featured the judges playing on the Parr Hall stage as a supergroup with Willis working on a mixing desk. The venue’s distinctive interior was showcased during the ad.
The promo for the 2018 series of The Voice was filmed in the town.
7) The Stranger (2019) Another Netflix drama was filmed on the streets of Culcheth back in 2019. Entitled ‘The Stranger, the eight-episode show is adapted from a novel of the same name and starred The Hobbit actor Richard Armitage.
And although most of the filming started in Manchester, filming crews moved onto Common Lane and shot scenes inside a residential property. 8) The Irregulars (2021) Arley Hall and its gardens and estate are frequently used as a backdrop for TV shows.
It was a filming location for a Netlix drama – The Irregulars. The country house, near Appleton Thorn, features in the series which offers a different take on Sherlock Holmes stories. It is about a group of misfits living in 19th century London who work to solve supernatural crimes.
The country house, near Appleton Thorn, features in the series which offers a different take on Sherlock Holmes stories.
9) Stay Close (2021) A Netflix drama released last New Year’s Eve was filmed in Warrington and surrounding areas. Stay Close features stars such as Cush Jumbo, James Nesbitt, Richard Armitage, Sarah Parish, Eddie Izzard and Jo Joyner.
It is an eight-part series which focuses on mother and bride-to be Megan (Jumbo), and the life and past that she ran away from. In February 2021, production crews were at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub for a number of days. And a month later at the back end of March, they took to the Silver Jubilee Bridge in Widnes and Runcorn for filming.
In February 2021, production crews were at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub for a number of days.
10) Rules of the Game (2022)
This BBC thriller was filmed in Great Sankey and aired this week. Rules of the Game is a four-part thriller about sexual politics in the modern workplace. The Forge Entertainment film crews were in Mossdale Close in Great Sankey last June to capture scenes.
And one of the actors there was Maxine Peake who stars as a hard-headed manager at a family run business in the north west. The production team were on the street for a number of days.
This BBC thriller was filmed in Great Sankey and aired this week. 11) Coronation Street (various episodes) Eagle-eyed viewers will remember scenes at a Rixton truck stop and nearby Arley Hall.
The ITV soap has also previously filmed scenes at the former Warrington Magistrates’ Court building on Arpley Street.
Some viewers will remember scenes at a Rixton truck stop and nearby Arley Hall.
- Puig Handguards Motorbike 8949J for Ducati SCRAMBLER Icon/Classic/Full Throttle...
REGULAR PRICE: £95.59 About this item Conceived to protect against the weather, but always prevailing the aesthetics of the motorcycle. Made of ABS […]
- BGS 9101 | Wheel Bearing Tool Set | for Ford, Land Rover, Volvo | Ø 82 mm
REGULAR PRICE: £149.77 Facilitates the assembly and disassembly of the wheel bearing hub unit Box contents: high-strength, ball-bearing spindle […]
- ARMREST BLACK/GRAY FIAT 500 2016-
REGULAR PRICE: £79.20 High quality product Recognized brand product New Product Check Offer Price SKU: B01N5O1PLW Weight: 1.94 kg Dimensions: 33.9 x […]
- Philips car air purifier GoPure 5212 Black
REGULAR PRICE: £93.87 About this item Filters harmful PM2.5 fine particles in less than 10 minutes Removes ultra-fine particles, bacteria and […]