LIVE UPDATES: Fears M6 may not reopen fully before rush hour as motorist battle through the regions A roads
Fire crews working at the scene on the M6 in Preston this morning (Friday, July 29)
Fire crews are working at the scene where a lorry caught fire at around 6.15am between junctions 32 and 31a in Preston.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
A full closure of the southbound carriageway was put in place between the two junctions at 6.50am. The incident has also led to the M55 being shut eastbound between junction 1 (A6 Garstang Road, Fulwood) to M6 junction 32.
Follow our live blog below for the latest updates…
Last updated: Friday, 29 July, 2022, 19:20
- M6 southbound closed between J32 (Preston) to J31A (Ribbleton)
- M55 eastbound also closed in Preston between J1 and M6
- Traffic is being diverted via local roads
Show new updates
Due to the southbound M6 closure today this convoy might have been forced to divert through Preston.
Mystery as police and military deny all knowledge of huge convoy through Preston
A long convoy of police and military trucks rolled through Preston with sirens wailing today (Friday, July 29) – but the movement appears to be shrouded in secrecy. The blue-light convoy – made up of nine police vehicles, four Army trucks, three coaches and a fire engine – was seen making its way through Kirkham, Preston and Penwortham at around 10am.
M6 closed for 8 hours and counting
The M6 has now been closed for more than 8 hours after a lorry caught fire at around 6.15am near junction 3 in Preston. There are now concerns the motorway might not reopen in time for Friday evening rush hour.
National Highways say it could remain closed until later this evening.
Diversions still in place
Drivers are still being diverted of the motorway at junction 32 and along a very busy diversion route through local A-roads.
Road users are advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol on road signs
- Exit M6 J32, Blackpool, onto the M55.
- Exit M55 J1, Broughton, take the first roundabout exit, A6 Preston
- At the A6/A5085 junction turn left (M6 South).
- Follow the A5085 to the A59 roundabout.
- Follow the A59 westbound
- Continue along the A59 London Road which then merges into Victoria Road
- Continue along Victoria Road and at the roundabout take the first exit B6230 Church Brow.
- Follow the B6230 Church Brow, Cuerdale Lane (towards Samlesbury) until you reach the junction with A59
- Turn left onto the A59 Preston New Road
- Continue along the A59 Preston New Road
- Take the exit M6 south and rejoin the M6 at J31
Page 1 of 3