LIVE UPDATES: Latest updates as M6 and M55 shut in Preston after lorry fire
Fire crews working at the scene on the M6 in Preston this morning (Friday, July 29)
Fire crews are working at the scene where a lorry caught fire at around 6.15am between junctions 32 and 31a in Preston.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
A full closure of the southbound carriageway was put in place between the two junctions at 6.50am. The incident has also led to the M55 being shut eastbound between junction 1 (A6 Garstang Road, Fulwood) to M6 junction 32.
Follow our live blog below for the latest updates…
Last updated: Friday, 29 July, 2022, 10:02
- M6 southbound closed between J32 (Preston) to J31A (Ribbleton)
- M55 eastbound also closed in Preston between J1 and M6
- Traffic is being diverted via local roads
Show new updates
Road users are advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol on road signs
- Exit M6 J32, Blackpool, onto the M55.
- Exit M55 J1, Broughton, take the first roundabout exit, A6 Preston
- At the A6/A5085 junction turn left (M6 South).
- Follow the A5085 to the A59 roundabout.
- Follow the A59 westbound
- Continue along the A59 London Road which then merges into Victoria Road
- Continue along Victoria Road and at the roundabout take the first exit B6230 Church Brow.
- Follow the B6230 Church Brow, Cuerdale Lane (towards Samlesbury) until you reach the junction with A59
- Turn left onto the A59 Preston New Road
- Continue along the A59 Preston New Road
- Take the exit M6 south and rejoin the M6 at J31
Reopening of M6 hampered by ‘complex recovery’ of burnt-out lorry
National Highways say the reopening of the M6 in Preston is being delayed due to the ‘complex recovery’ of the lorry.
Recovery crews at the scene are trying to lift the stricken lorry from the carriageway but this process could take some time, the agency warns.
SEVERE delays around Preston due to M6 closure and A59 closure at Brockholes Brow
The closure of the M6 in Preston is causing severe delays around the city this morning and travel is being further impacted by the ongoing closure of the A59 at Brockholes Brow. One of Preston’s busiest roads – Brockholes Brow, which links Preston city centre to the M6 – is currently shut completely for seven weeks.
Driver escaped without injury from lorry blaze
Lancashire Police have confirmed that the driver escaped from the lorry blaze unscathed and no one else has been injured. Latest update: One lane (lane 4) is currently open but lanes 1-3 remain closed.
The M6 closure is affecting traffic across Preston as motorists are diverted via local roads
Motorway could reopen by 1pm say Highways
National Highways say they expect the M6 to reopen by 1pm, but advise that this is just an estimate.
The agency said it will continue to monitor progress at the scene and provide further updates shortly.
Latest picture from the scene
Video shows lorry on fire
Update from Lancs fire service
A fire service spokesman said: “At 05:57 on July 29, 2022, six fire engines from Preston, Fulwood, Penwortham, South Shore and Blackpool attended a vehicle fire on the M6 Southbound between junction 32and 31. “The incident involved a HGV vehicle which was well alight when crews arrived. Firefighting operations are underway.”
Lane 4 of M6 southbound opened to release trapped traffic
Lane 4 has been re-opened to release traffic caught up in the closure. The road remains closed for all other vehicles at this time.
Page 1 of 1