Young mum died days after dad’s funeral
A mum tragically died after taking heroin substitute drug methadone, an inquest has heard. Simona Babuliene took the drug to 'feel more alert.' The 29-year-old was proscribed methadone following a history of heroin addiction.
But she took too much in the days following her father's funeral and sadly died in hospital. The inquest into the mum-of-two's death heard how she would take methadone in the mornings. And on May 21 this year, she returned home after attending her father's funeral before meeting her dealer to purchase more of the drug, StaffordshireLive reports.
READ MORE: Man dubbed 'unbelievably stupid' after being 'charmed' by older woman into dealing cocaine The following morning she said she felt dizzy and started to shake, so an ambulance was called. Ms Babuliene, of Uxbridge Street in Staffordshire, went into cardiac arrest and suffered a catastrophic brain injury, the inquest heard.
She was taken to Queens Hospital in Burton on May 29 where she sadly died. The inquest into her death, held at South Staffordshire Coroner's Court, heard the mum had a history of heroin addiction. A police investigation was carried out into her death and found there was no evidence of foul play or third-party involvement.
A search of the family home found empty bottles in the bin that contained the brown liquid, some had her name on which were from the pharmacy and others were bare. She was known to the police due to her previous heroin addiction. Coroner Sukhdev Garcha ruled that she died from bronchial pneumonia with cerebral anoxia, respiratory failure and methadone overdose all contributing.
He recorded a verdict that her death was drug related.
The coroner passed on his condolences to her family.