Category: Appley

How to get free alcoholic icecream at Bullring Birmingham this weekend

People in Birmingham are to be among the first to try a new alcoholic ice cream for free.
Birmingham was voted as one of only three cities that will get to have FREE Strongbow Dark Fruit ice cream for one day only.
A special ice cream truck will be at …

Dumper Truck “Collides With Parked Cars” In Newport – Isle of Wight Radio

A dumper truck collided with several parked cars along Bluebell Meadows in Newport last night (Thursday), according to police.
An abandoned tipper truck at Bluebell Meadows
Hampshire Constabulary says officers were called to reports of a truck stolen …

Dumper Truck “Collides With Parked Cars” In Newport | Isle Of Wight … – Isle of Wight Radio

A damaged front garden and car at Bluebell Meadows in Newport
A dumper truck collided with several parked cars along Bluebell Meadows in Newport last night (Thursday), according to police.
An abandoned tipper truck at Bluebell Meadows
Hampshire Constab…

Awards On Behalf Of The Queen Handed Out At Royal Yacht Squadron

The Lord Lieutenant Awards winners on stage

It’s a really important and pleasurable part of what I do,” says the Lord Lieutenant for the Isle of Wight, Major General Martin White, after handing out medals and awards to uniformed volunteers on Wednesday.

The annual ceremony was held at the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes.

“A seal of approval”

British Empire Medals were handed to Isle of Wight Councillor and Cabinet Member for Transport Ian Ward and to Moldovan-born Victoria Dunford, who has changed lives through the work of her charity MAD Aid. Victoria repurposes unwanted medical equipment to support children and people with disabilities who have previously led lives of isolation in Moldova.

MAD Aid’s Victoria Dunford BEM

Victoria told Isle of Wight Radio…

“It feels amazing. The medal is not really mine – it’s for the whole team. The organisation snowballed really quickly. We started a very small operation, sending one truck of aid. Five years later we send over 50 trucks; we opened a disabled centre. We’ve changed thousands of lives – and our lives. [The medal] is a seal of approval for what we do.”

“Honour and privilege”

Jacquelyn De Bruyne, Cowes Sea Cadets

Meritorious Service Certificates were handed to Lieutenant (SCC) Jacquelyn De Bruyne for her work with the Cowes Sea Cadet Corps, Petty Officer George Wallace from Ryde Sea Cadet Corps and Staff Sergeant Instructor Rosco Seekings from C Company Hampshire and Isle of Wight Army Cadet Force.

For Jacquelyn, who has worked with the Sea Cadets since 1987, the award was a surprise…

“I found out when I was told to sit near the stage. I was like, “Why? I normally sit at the back for these things!” It’s an honour and a privilege. We had some challenging times, but a terrific team with me and the cadets were amazing, incredible. They make it all worthwhile. The award is for everybody.”

Rosco, who is back on the Island after being just one of just ten people picked from across the country to climb in America’s Yosemite National Park, said:

“We’re volunteers. We do two evenings a week and then weekends as well. We do shooting, civic events, first aid courses, map reading, expeditions…All I’ve got to do is walk up and get the citation. I’ll probably fall over on the way up! [Ed – he didn’t]”

For her work with the Red Cross, Angela Lock was handed a Voluntary Service Medal.

Meanwhile, SSAFA volunteers who support veterans on the Isle of Wight, Janet Brazier, Stuart Collin, Anthony Gear and Sylvia Knight were handed certificates for long service.

Sylvia Knight, SSAFA and Petty Officer George Wallace, Ryde Sea Cadets

Sylvia, who has also volunteered for the Earl Mountbatten Hospice and the Samaritans, told Isle of Wight Radio what inspired her and what she thought of being called up for an award:

“I’m ex-forces, my husband’s ex-forces and half my family are in the forces. I’d prefer just to fade away into the background, thank you very much. I’ll stay with SSAFA for as long as I can!”

“Really positive”

For Hampshire Constabulary, Superintendent Sarah Jackson was on hand to give service awards to PCSO Lisa Paul, who is a lead LGBT officer and search specialist Sergeant Gary Hayward.

Lisa said:

“Working along with partner agencies…we’ve been able to access far more people than ever before. I love the work that I do. I’ve met some great people and seen some really positive things, particularly on the Isle of Wight.”

There were also mentions for Able Cadet Ethan Tucker (Ryde Sea Cadet Corps) and Cadet Flight Sergeant Malandra Reed from 1024 (Isle of Wight) Squadron, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Training Corps, who will be assisting the Lord Lieutenant over the coming year.

The Lord Lieutenant told Isle of Wight Radio,

“People who volunteer…are not looking for praise. They’re not looking for recognition. It is a chance every so often to say thank you from the community and, in this case, on behalf of her Majesty to say thank you for what you do for the community.”

Comments

comments

Man Airlifted to Hospital after being struck by a Lorry on the A325 East Worldham

A man has been left fighting for his life after being hit by a heavy goods vehicle in the village of East Worldham.
The road traffic collision happened on the B3004 just outside Alton. The man was treated at scene by paramedics and flown by the Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital after being hit and becoming entrapped under the lorry. His has been left in a critical condition. The road was closed for about five-and-half-hours while a police investigation was held. Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident. Officers from the Hampshire Roads Policing team (RPU) at Havant are appealing for witnesses or dashcam footage that may assist with their investigation. A Spokesman said:” said: “We believe that there were a number of people in the area at the time and we’re appealing for them to get in touch with us.” Anyone with information is asked to contact Hampshire Police on 101.

More from UK News in Pictures:

Three Lanes on M27 Motorway Blocked following Cras…

Have you seen missing Davey Gilmour from Chicheste…

Concern for missing Regan White from Brighton

Man arrested after Teenager is Murdered at Caravan…

Britain Got Talent Pudsey the Dog has Died

Serious Crash Closes A325 East Worldham

Teenager airlifted to Hospitial following Shoreham…

Surrey Deputy Head Teacher jailed for making sexua…

Serial Burglar Lee Palmer jailed 38 months

Portsmouth Tourist Attraction Closure due to Unfor…

Portsmouth Boy Ben Jackson Best Birthday Ever tha…

If only your need to read this

Delays on M27 Motorway Following Earlier Collisio…

Police investigate Breaking at Boots in Portsmouth

Motorcyclist left fighting for his life following …

Woman found dead in Kingston flat Fire

Olly Murs Concerts in Bournemouth and Exeter Cance…

Car Flips in Gosport

Shocking moment a gang of up to 40 suspected illegal migrants climb out of a French lorry parked up at an M25 …

A shocking video shows ‘at least 30 or 40 men’ climbing out of a lorry at an M25 service station as another person whips them with rope.
The gang can be seen lifting the roof of a truck and then fleeing at Cobham Services in Elmbridge, Surrey yesterday afternoon.
The video was filmed by electrical engineer Ryan Stanley who was driving from a job in Bromley, south London when he witnessed the men unloading themselves from the French lorry at about 2.30pm.
In the clip two men appear to be hurrying the suspected migrants along, one of them even lashed out at the stowaways with a makeshift whip.
Mr Stanley, 21, said: ‘There were about 30 or 40 which came out. I started filming about 25 seconds after I first noticed them.
‘There was three lorries and two of them seemed to no nothing about what was going on. The drivers seemed shocked.
‘[The people] were coming out of a French lorry carrying industrial pipework. They just all ran away across the field and behind the little hotel. It was it bit surreal.’
Mr Stanley also claimed that police with sniffer dogs were at the station but he did not witness any arrests being made.

A man arrested on suspicion of illegally driving 27 people into the UK after they were found in the back of a lorry has been released without charge.
The 50-year-old Italian was arrested on suspicion of facilitating illegal entry on Friday, August 28, when 27 men were found in the back of his lorry at Cobham services on the M25.

Between August 2014 and August 2015, 106 men and 11 women were arrested on suspicion of illegal entry into the UK at the M25 services.
Of those people, 16 were children and teenagers, and 71 were under 30.
The arrested had travelled from as far as Afghanistan, Albania, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Syria. The majority came from Eritrea.
In 2015 an Italian lorry driver arrested on suspicion of illegally driving 27 people into the UK was released without charge.
The 50-year-old was detained on suspicion of facilitating illegal entry after the group of men were found in his truck at Cobham Services.
The Home Office confirmed his release was likely to have been the day after his arrest.

[embedded content]

More from UK News in Pictures:

Mum posts heartbreaking Facebook note revealing ho…

The Yomper to stay on Southsea front

Neighbour alerts Fire service to flat fire in Slou…

Four rescued from severe house fire in West Midlan…

Fire rips through Weybridge Hospitial

Copnor Community Centre Targeted by Low Life Scum …

Fire crews free Trapped driver After vehicle leave…

Car Overturns on the M27 Motorway Causing Traffic …

Body of Missing Man Found in Waterlooville

Ferries suspended due to passenger incident after …

A normal Day on the Isle of Wight….?

Family Continue to Search for Missing Waterloovill…

Joint Probe Launched after Houses Left Gutted in …

Two People Pulled from Mud in Langstone Harbour

Convicted Sex Offender from Fareham wanted by Poli…

Long Delays on M27 near Fareham Following Collisio…

Help Needed after Selfish Parents Blank Boy with …

Have you seen 12-year-old Beau Paffett missing fro…

Sixteen illegal immigrants found in Back of a Lorry in East Grinstead

[embedded content]

East Grinstead Saturday 17th June 2017

Trinity Methodist Church was used as a refuge centre for the suspected illegal immigrants
Sixteen suspected illegal immigrants, believed to be Iraqi nationals, have been found[1] in the back of an “exceptionally hot” lorry.
The people[2] inside waved to catch the attention of passing motorists, who flagged down the driver on the A22 in East Grinstead just before 09:30am
Thirteen men, two women and a child were inside. Two of the men were taken to hospital suffering from dehydration.
The driver was arrested on suspicion of facilitating illegal immigration.

The 63-year-old driver pulled over in a bus stop close to the junction with Dorset Avenue.
The nearby Trinity Methodist Church was then used as a refuge centre until immigration enforcement officers arrived.
Sgt William Keating-Jones, of Sussex Police, said: “The vehicle was exceptionally hot and it was important we reacted quickly.
“This was a great multi-agency response to a potentially life-threatening situation, with emergency services[3], immigration officials, volunteers and even local residents all pulling together.”©UKNIP

More from UK News in Pictures:

Fire Crews Called to Basement Flat Fire in Putney

Neighbour who opened Grenfell Tower body bag and p…

Greenfell tower Death Toll could reach fifties

Can you help us find missing Joanne Thorp?

Have you seen Missing Toni Lovell from Havant

Trio Wanted for Questioning after Altercation outs…

Purse stolen in Caravan Burglary in Hordle

Head on Collision Closes Major Fareham Road

Major Blow as Top Brand Pulls out of Southsea Town

Van Driver Arrested on suspicion of abduction afte…

Man Dies after Car Hits Fence in Ash

Surrey Police Call Handlers Honoured in Special Pr…

Arson Probe Launched after Motorbike Torched in Pa…

Popular Southsea Charity Store Set to Close

Armed Police Storm Hayling Island Property

Has Isle of Wight Council Been Exposed of Distribu…

Beyonce South For Hilarious Southsea Flat Mate in …

Dramatic Armed Arrests in Reading

Search continues for Missing Paulsgrove Teen :Rosi…

Five People Pulled from Burning Building In Golder…

Marwell Zoo on Lockdown after Monkey Escape

Major Search after Submerged Car Found in Eling Ti…

Two killed in Fatal horror crash on M3 Motorway

Fatal Collision involving Three HGV and a Car on M…

Nine Dead after London Terror attack 30 Injured

Seven Dead after new wave of terror attacks in Lon…

Police Investigate Sex Attack in Fratton

Manchester Ariana Grande visits injured fans in ho…

Van Mows Down People on London Bridge Man with Kni…

Police searching for Vulnerable Addlestone woman S…

References

  1. ^ found (uknip.co.uk)
  2. ^ The people (uknip.co.uk)
  3. ^ services (uknip.co.uk)

Looking back at the Isle of Wight April 21, 2017

EACH week we look back at Isle of Wight history and heritage, using the Isle of Wight County Press Archive.For more, please see the Isle of Wight County Press newspaper, every Friday.Search for your own stories by accessing our archive here.[1]

Ten years ago: A lorry fire caused havoc on the main road between Newport and Ryde as commuters and police feared the vehicle might explode.
The fire, which was thought to have been sparked by an electrical fault, saw the road closed for two-and-a-half hours until the lorry finally burnt out.

100 Years Ago
April 21, 1917

IN AN effort to reduce waste, a dining centre was opened at Ryde under the authority of the Ministry of Food.
The centre would economise on food by preparing it in larger quantities than was possible in small households.
It was also reported special attention would be paid to the “preparation of nourishing foodstuffs, such as cereals, which are not familiar to all housewives.”

75 Years Ago
April 25, 1942

The sound of gunshots rang through the air, the telephone exchanges were destroyed, fires raged across Newport and the mayor and town clerk were killed — fortunately for those involved, especially the casualties, it was no more than an invasion training exercise carried out by the Defence Committee.

50 Years Ago
April 22, 1967

Newport Railway Station was abuzz with activity as nine steam engines made their final trip before being scrapped.
The locomotives had been redundant in December 1966, when the lines closed for electrification.

25 Years Ago
April 24, 1992

A Cowes High School pupil proved he was one of the brightest young scientific minds in the country by winning a national electronics contest.
Mark Stewart, 17, won the final of the Young Electronic Designer at the Science Museum of London, impressing the judges with his beam music invention to help children with disabilities.
The invention allowed keyboard sounds to activate a beam of light and, besides the music, it could be adapted to control a mouse cursor on a computer screen.

10 Years Ago
April 20, 2007

The Island’s youth officer blamed 50p bus fares for the rise in inter-town rivalry among young people.
The flat fee was welcomed when it was introduced the year before but George Weech feared young people were abusing it to get around for the wrong reason.
He said inter-town rivalry was beginning to emerge, where groups of youths had been dispersed by the police, leading to some hopping on the bus and going to the next town.