Category: Caldicot

Referency Library – Wales – Monmouthshire – Caldicot

Ambitious loose Shetland takes on BE cross-country

Sugar and Harvey

A Shetland pony has shot to fame after running wild at Calmsden Horse Trials.

Eight-year-old Sugar was taken to the event on Sunday (30 July) as a companion for Lynne Elson’s Junilee Harvest (Harvey), who was competing in the BE90 with Emma Matthews.

Emma and Lynne were eating lunch at the lorry when Sugar managed to break free.

Emma went after the 9hh pony but she proved tricky to catch.

“I didn’t think a lot of it at first, I thought she would be a greedy guts and stop to graze, but she kept running,” Monmouthshire-based Emma told H&H.

“She was heading for the exit, so thankfully they spread the message on the loudspeaker and the gate was closed.”

9hh Sugar was bought as a companion pony

Sugar cantered through the lorry park, past the showjumping arena and into the first cross-country field.

By this time officials in 4x4s were also trying to stop the mare.

“She went through two fields of the cross-country course with everyone in hot pursuit,” said Emma.

“When she headed back towards the lorry park they managed to corral her by one of the fences and then she was as good as gold to catch, she still had her headcollar on.”

Sugar, who was bought as a travel companion three months ago, was not injured and seemed unfazed by the drama she caused.

“She wasn’t even puffing or sweating,” said Emma.

“The officials said she even jumped a couple of BE80 fences, although I didn’t see that — perhaps she has more ambition than we thought.”

Sugar at home

Emma apologised to the riders who had to wait to start their cross-country rounds due to Sugar’s escape.

“Everyone has taken it in good humour and there was no harm done,” she said.

“We’ve been told that we’re not allowed to take her to BE events until she has public liability insurance and we’ve had NFU out to sort that out.

“We also have to contact organisers from now on if we want to take her to events and they can decide on a case-by-case basis.

Four-year-old Tilly has been riding Sugar

“I completely understand. I would be mortified if she cased an accident and someone was injured and we couldn’t compensate them.”

Emma hopes Sugar can return to events soon and also plans to take her in some in-hand classes later this year.

“She’s very well bred and moves really well,” Emma added.

“There’s a local show at Chepstow racecourse where she can strut her stuff.”

‘Trapped’ village given new emergency route

AN emergency route has been made available in a Monmouthshire village after a lorry blocked its only entrance last month.

Residents of Sudbrook, near Caldicot, were left trapped for four-and-a-half hours on November 20 after the 126-tonne truck came into difficulty crossing the small steel bridge.

Days after the incident, Monmouthshire County Council[1] agreed to make the three-metre wide coastal path that runs from Black Rock to Sudbrook an alternate route available for emergency vehicles only.

According to council leader, Councillor Peter Fox, plans to install retractable bollards are in motion.

Network Rail personnel are also scheduled to carry out small repair works on a small area of brickwork on the steel bridge that was damaged by the vehicle.

“This will be a route that will only be in use for emergencies and will be managed as such, it will not be open for a free for all,” said Cllr Fox.

“We already have temporary signage on the bridge stating that abnormal loads must have council permission to cross.

“We’re going to have a robust protocol in place to prevent any future incidents.”

According to Cllr Fox, there is still a need to consider a long-term plan with regards to entrance into the village with it set to grow in the coming years.

Plans to build 212 homes at the former Sudbrook Papermill were approved by the county council in June but local councils in Caldicot and Portskewett had objected due to concerns over “unsuitable infrastructure”.

Cllr Fox said: “It is clear that something more permanent needs to be put inn place and there needs to be a conversation with all parties on the matter.”

said: “There needs to be a long term solution, in case the bridge fails or it gets too old.

“That’s a conversation we’ll need to have, especially now that the village is growing.”

Sudbrook resident June Chandler, 53, described Sunday’s events as “frightening and inconvenient”.

MONMOUTSHIRE County Council will look at creating an alternative route into Sudbrook after a 126-tonne lorry blocked the only way in and out of the village for about four-and-a-half hours on Sunday.

Sudbrook residents were trapped in their village on Sunday from around 9.30am – when the truck and trailer attempted to cross the bridge in the village – until around 2pm.

Later on the afternoon, there were intermittent closures as the lorry had damaged the stone wall structure of the bridge and it had be removed by Network Rail.

The leader of Monmouthshire County Council, councillor Peter Fox, called Sunday “quite an event” and said they were really fortunate no one was hurt and there were no calls to the emergency services.

“(Sunday) reminded everybody of the real issue when the bridge gets closed is,” he said. “We’re hoping we can find a solution for a temporary road which could be used in an emergency.

“It looks like there’ll be the opportunity to create a track at the top of the village. It’s a three metre wide coastal path that runs from Black Rock to Sudbrook and could be used for emergencies.”

Cllr Fox also meetings were held yesterday morning to clarify what needs to happen next. He said: “There needs to be a long term solution, in case the bridge fails or it gets too old.

“That’s a conversation we’ll need to have, especially now that the village is growing.”

Sudbrook resident June Chandler, 53, described Sunday’s events as “frightening and inconvenient”.

“This is chaos,” she said at the time. “We’re now stuck.”

The head of operations at Monmouthshire County Council, Roger Hoggins, said: “Officers are presently checking that all permits and notifications were in place but more importantly ensuring that the developer and their contractors are making plans to ensure this does not happen again.

“Network Rail engineers have inspected the bridge and are satisfied that it is structurally sound but repairs are required to the parapet – these are likely to be undertaken using night time rail closures.

“Monmouthshire County Council is also erecting signage to indicate that all abnormal loads – whether by size or weight – must seek approval to use the route.

“This incident has again highlighted the risk of emergency services being unable to access this community and the Severn Tunnel emergency access at the pumping station when the bridge is unavailable. Officers are also investigating if an alternative route can be created.”

References

  1. ^ Monmouthshire County Council (www.monmouthshire.gov.uk)

‘Trapped’ village given new route

AN emergency route has been made available in a Monmouthshire village after a lorry blocked its only entrance last month.

Residents of Sudbrook, near Caldicot, were left trapped inside their homes for four-and-a-half hours on November 20 after the 126-tonne truck came into difficulty crossing the small steel bridge.

Days after the incident, Monmouthshire County Council[1] agreed to make the three-metre wide coastal path that runs from Black Rock to Sudbrook an alternate route available for emergency vehicles only.

According to council leader, Councillor Peter Fox, plans to install retractable bollards are in motion.

Network Rail personnel are also scheduled to carry out small repair works on a small area of brickwork on the steel bridge that was damaged by the vehicle.

“This will be a route that will only be in use for emergencies and will be managed as such, it will not be open for a free for all,” said Cllr Fox.

“We already have temporary signage on the bridge stating that abnormal loads must have council permission to cross.

“We’re going to have a robust protocol in place to prevent any future incidents.”

According to Cllr Fox, there is still a need to consider a long-term plan with regards to entrance into the village with it set to grow in the coming years.

Plans to build 212 homes at the former Sudbrook Papermill were approved by the county council in June but local councils in Caldicot and Portskewett had objected due to concerns over “unsuitable infrastructure”.

Cllr Fox said: “It is clear that something more permanent needs to be put inn place and there needs to be a conversation with all parties on the matter.”

said: “There needs to be a long term solution, in case the bridge fails or it gets too old.

“That’s a conversation we’ll need to have, especially now that the village is growing.”

Sudbrook resident June Chandler, 53, described Sunday’s events as “frightening and inconvenient”.

MONMOUTSHIRE County Council will look at creating an alternative route into Sudbrook after a 126-tonne lorry blocked the only way in and out of the village for about four-and-a-half hours on Sunday.

Sudbrook residents were trapped in their village on Sunday from around 9.30am – when the truck and trailer attempted to cross the bridge in the village – until around 2pm.

Later on the afternoon, there were intermittent closures as the lorry had damaged the stone wall structure of the bridge and it had be removed by Network Rail.

The leader of Monmouthshire County Council, councillor Peter Fox, called Sunday “quite an event” and said they were really fortunate no one was hurt and there were no calls to the emergency services.

“(Sunday) reminded everybody of the real issue when the bridge gets closed is,” he said. “We’re hoping we can find a solution for a temporary road which could be used in an emergency.

“It looks like there’ll be the opportunity to create a track at the top of the village. It’s a three metre wide coastal path that runs from Black Rock to Sudbrook and could be used for emergencies.”

Cllr Fox also meetings were held yesterday morning to clarify what needs to happen next. He said: “There needs to be a long term solution, in case the bridge fails or it gets too old.

“That’s a conversation we’ll need to have, especially now that the village is growing.”

Sudbrook resident June Chandler, 53, described Sunday’s events as “frightening and inconvenient”.

“This is chaos,” she said at the time. “We’re now stuck.”

The head of operations at Monmouthshire County Council, Roger Hoggins, said: “Officers are presently checking that all permits and notifications were in place but more importantly ensuring that the developer and their contractors are making plans to ensure this does not happen again.

“Network Rail engineers have inspected the bridge and are satisfied that it is structurally sound but repairs are required to the parapet – these are likely to be undertaken using night time rail closures.

“Monmouthshire County Council is also erecting signage to indicate that all abnormal loads – whether by size or weight – must seek approval to use the route.

“This incident has again highlighted the risk of emergency services being unable to access this community and the Severn Tunnel emergency access at the pumping station when the bridge is unavailable. Officers are also investigating if an alternative route can be created.”

References

  1. ^ Monmouthshire County Council (www.monmouthshire.gov.uk)

Residents trapped after lorry blocks only way in and out of Gwent village

UPDATE 2.10pm

The bridge is now clear. 

UPDATE 1.45pm

A Network Rail spokeswoman said: “A 126 tonnes lorry got stuck in the bridge this morning. 

“Engineers are now working on the site.”

She said that the line running under the bridge was never closed, but that there’s a 20mph speed restriction in place at the moment. 

She said that they don’t expect many trains to be affected by the speed restriction. 

Noon

RESIDENTS in a Monmouthshire village are stuck after a lorry has blocked the only way in and out of the village.

At around 9.30am, a truck and trailer attempted to cross the bridge at Sudbrook.

However, the trailer got stuck, blocking the only road in and out of the village.

Peter Fox, leader of Monmouthshire County Council[1], tweeted this morning that residents are “trapped” in the village.

He said that they have been campaigning for years for a second access to Sudbrook.

Major issue with huge crane wedged on Sudbrook bridge. Residents trapped in the village pic.twitter.com/FxMDMj8rWG[2]

— Peter Fox (@PeterFox61) November 20, 2016[3]

June Chandler, 53, a resident in the village said: “We’re now stuck, with only footpaths to get out us of the village. 

“But, god forbid, what if there was an emergency such as a fire?

“It’s very frightening and inconvenient, this is chaos. 

“I wanted to go shopping this morning as today is the only day we can go.

“A lady told me earlier she was taking her mother to get her prescriptions and they had to walk in the end.”

Ms Chandler said that it’s not the first a lorry has got stuck in the bridge. She said that, last time, it took them five hours to move it. 

She said: “After moving the lorry, they’ll need to assess the bridge, what if they find it’s not safe?

“This has been brought up before when they were going to build the houses in the Old Mill site.

“We were told it’d never happen.”

We have been campaigning for years for a 2nd access to Sudbrook, a issue like this blocks emergency services pic.twitter.com/9rlKCemmi2[4]

— Peter Fox (@PeterFox61) November 20, 2016[5]

A Gwent Police spokesman said: “Earlier today, we received a call regarding a lorry getting stuck at the top of the bridge.

“At 10am, we were told it’d be several hours until it was moved so it should be moved soon.

“Network Rail will then have to assess the structural viability of the bridge.

“I’d like to reassure residents that, if there was an emergency, we’d find a way to get to them.”

References

  1. ^ Monmouthshire County Council (www.monmouthshire.gov.uk)
  2. ^ pic.twitter.com/FxMDMj8rWG (t.co)
  3. ^ November 20, 2016 (twitter.com)
  4. ^ pic.twitter.com/9rlKCemmi2 (t.co)
  5. ^ November 20, 2016 (twitter.com)

Residents trapped after lorry blocks the only way in and out of their village

1.45pm

A Network Rail spokeswoman said: “A 126 tonnes lorry got stuck in the bridge this morning. 

“Engineers are now working on the site.”

She said that the line running under the bridge was never closed, but that there’s a 20mph speed restriction in place at the moment. 

She said that they don’t expect many trains to be affected by the speed restriction. 

Noon

RESIDENTS in a Monmouthshire village are stuck after a lorry has blocked the only way in and out of the village.

At around 9.30am, a truck and trailer attempted to cross the bridge at Sudbrook.

However, the trailer got stuck, blocking the only road in and out of the village.

Peter Fox, leader of Monmouthshire County Council[1], tweeted this morning that residents are “trapped” in the village.

He said that they have been campaigning for years for a second access to Sudbrook.

Major issue with huge crane wedged on Sudbrook bridge. Residents trapped in the village pic.twitter.com/FxMDMj8rWG[2]

— Peter Fox (@PeterFox61) November 20, 2016[3]

June Chandler, 53, a resident in the village said: “We’re now stuck, with only footpaths to get out us of the village. 

“But, god forbid, what if there was an emergency such as a fire?

“It’s very frightening and inconvenient, this is chaos. 

“I wanted to go shopping this morning as today is the only day we can go.

“A lady told me earlier she was taking her mother to get her prescriptions and they had to walk in the end.”

Ms Chandler said that it’s not the first a lorry has got stuck in the bridge. She said that, last time, it took them five hours to move it. 

She said: “After moving the lorry, they’ll need to assess the bridge, what if they find it’s not safe?

“This has been brought up before when they were going to build the houses in the Old Mill site.

“We were told it’d never happen.”

We have been campaigning for years for a 2nd access to Sudbrook, a issue like this blocks emergency services pic.twitter.com/9rlKCemmi2[4]

— Peter Fox (@PeterFox61) November 20, 2016[5]

A Gwent Police spokesman said: “Earlier today, we received a call regarding a lorry getting stuck at the top of the bridge.

“At 10am, we were told it’d be several hours until it was moved so it should be moved soon.

“Network Rail will then have to assess the structural viability of the bridge.

“I’d like to reassure residents that, if there was an emergency, we’d find a way to get to them.”

References

  1. ^ Monmouthshire County Council (www.monmouthshire.gov.uk)
  2. ^ pic.twitter.com/FxMDMj8rWG (t.co)
  3. ^ November 20, 2016 (twitter.com)
  4. ^ pic.twitter.com/9rlKCemmi2 (t.co)
  5. ^ November 20, 2016 (twitter.com)