© Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logoA cake designer who supplies events including the BRITs and Queen Charlotte’s Ball is now helping to feed thousands of families across the UK – after Covid ‘wiped out £80,000’ from her business overnight.
A POLICE car responding to an emergency call was involved in a crash with a Mercedes car at a Southampton junction.The collision took place at the junction of Millbrook Road West and Regents Park Road shortly after 2pm on Saturday, January 23.
Highlands restaurant boss launches layby takeaway service to help HGV drivers get hot food delivered
The layby takeaway service has been launched to help ensure drivers have access to a hot meal while on the road.
A Highlands restaurant and takeaway owner has put a call out to HGV and large lorry drivers to give them the opportunity to order hot food …
TWO people have been airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following a crash between a van and car on the A688 near Raby Castle, Staindrop, on Tuesday. A Durham Police spokesperson said: “Shortly after 9am we were called to reports of a road…
‘Please, please do not go to work sick’
For almost a year, our family practiced social distancing. We had no indoor gatherings or family dinners. We wore masks. often even outside. I fought for a safer work environment during Covid. We got…
A group of Sikh volunteers have delivered almost 2,000 hot meals to lorry drivers stranded in Kent.
Volunteers from faith-based group Khalsa Aid have travelled around 210 miles (338km) to take warm food to hauliers hit by the travel ban between the UK …
TORONTO, Ont. – Despite shutdowns related to the Covid-19 pandemic, Serco’s DriveTest set a record number of monthly commercial road tests this year.The new record came in October, the first month DriveTest completed more than 1,000 commercial road tes…
MONTREAL, Que. – Lion Electric has entered into a reseller agreement with ChargePoint, one of the world’s largest electric vehicle charging networks.Lion will offer ChargePoint’s full line of commercial chargers and cloud services through its LionEnerg…
The TelegraphSturgeon’s husband ‘contradicts wife and changes his own story’ during evidence on Salmond scandalNicola Sturgeon’s husband dealt a “fatal blow” to her account of her handling of the Alex Salmond scandal, it was claimed on Tuesday, after h…
At the Salvation Army emergency food truck in Neath, Mike Hughes is queued up for a hot meal and a coffee.
It’s the first time the van has been in Neath town centre since the coronavirus pandemic started in March and it is bringing Mike one of his firs…
A lorry driver described “loads” of migrants jammed into his trailer and not breathing in a 999 call played in court.
On October 23 last year, 39 men, women and children, aged 15 to 44, were found dead in the container after it was transported from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Purfleet in Essex.
The Old Bailey has heard how they suffocated in temperatures of up to 38.5C (101.3F) in the pitch dark interior.
Jurors were shown CCTV of lorry driver Maurice Robinson, 26, collecting the trailer and driving out of Purfleet port.
He had received a Snapchat message allegedly from haulage boss Ronan Hughes saying: “Give them air quickly, don’t let them out.”
Robinson replied with a “thumbs-up emoji”, the court was told.
At 1.13am Robinson opened the trailer nearby in Eastern Avenue, Thurrock, and vapour was seen to rise from the doors.
In CCTV footage played in court, Robinson then appeared to run past the lorry cab before he got back in and drove away.
Robinson spoke to Hughes and alleged key organiser Gheorghe Nica by phone and drove in a loop before returning to Eastern Avenue, jurors heard.
Some 23 minutes after finding the bodies, Robinson finally dialled 999 at 1.36.am.
During the call to the ambulance service played in court, Robinson said: “I’m a lorry driver and I just lifted a trailer from the port.”
Asked if the patients were breathing, he said: “No. There, there’s, err, loads of them, there’s immigrants in the back but they’re, they’re all lying on the ground.
“I went and lifted a trailer from Purfleet, the freight terminal, and I got around to where I was gonna park up for the night and I heard a noise in the back and I opened the door and there’s a bunch of them lying.”
Asked how many, Robinson said: “The trailer is jammed. I don’t know.”
He estimated there were about 25 people in the trailer and confirmed none was breathing.
Earlier on Tuesday, jurors heard how the trailer was loaded on to a ship called the Clementine at the port of Zeebrugge at 3pm on October 22 last year.
The ship set off at 3.36pm with the container on the weather deck, which was open to the elements with an outside temperature of 14C (57.2F).
At 6.25pm, a young Vietnamese woman took a series of selfies on her phone showing the sweltering conditions inside.
Over the next couple of hours, occupants attempted to make phone calls, with one calling the emergency number for Vietnamese police, without success.
In a recorded message to his family, Nguyen Tho Tuan, 25, said: “I’m sorry. I cannot take care of you. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I cannot breathe.
“I want to come back to my family. Have a good life.”
In another phone recording at 8.02pm, Nguyen Dinh Luong, 20, said: “I cannot breathe. I’m sorry, I have to go now.”
In the background, a voice could be heard saying: “Come on everyone. Open up, open up.”
In another phone recording two minutes later, the same victim said: “I’m sorry. It’s all my fault.”
A voice in the background then says: “He’s dead.”
Cargo operator Jason Rook said in a statement that he smelt a “decomposing smell” as he unloaded the trailer.
He said the Clementine arrived in Purfleet at around 11.50pm, and he had unloaded three or four containers before he got to the one in question.
He said: “As I just passed the doors and reached the left hand side of the trailer I suddenly caught a strong smell that I can only describe as a decomposing smell.”
Jurors have heard that Robinson and Hughes, 41, have previously admitted manslaughter of the migrants.
Lorry driver Eamonn Harrison, 23, of Co Down, who had dropped the trailer off at Zeebrugge, has denied 39 counts of manslaughter along with Nica, 43, of Basildon.
Harrison, lorry driver Christopher Kennedy, 24, of Co Armagh, and Valentin Calota, 37, of Birmingham, have denied being part of a wider people-smuggling conspiracy, which Nica has admitted to.
A chef who had his food truck burnt down in Manchester has had over £70,000 donated to him by members of the public.
David Olalekan Kamson moved to Manchester four years ago where he began selling food to people on the streets of Moston.
When David Olalekan Kamson moved to Manchester four years ago, he had £70 to his name.
One night, he had a dream that he was selling steak and chicken. The queue was so long he couldn’t see the end.
His family thought he was mad when he told them he …
| Road Transport | Highways England engage Winvic construction for A5 works at Hinckley
09:00 Thu 24th Sep 2020 | Posted By UKHAULIER
2 hours ago
Winvic Construction Ltd, a leading main contracto…
Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston shared a steamy scene as they reunited to take part in the star-studded table read for classic 1980s film Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
The former married couple were joined by a stellar cast including Oscar-winning actor…