Fraser

Port Coquitlam-jailed truck driver to be extradited to the U.S. for alleged sexual assault

A former truck driver in custody at a Port Coquitlam jail has been committed to extradition to the United States to face prosecution in the alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old in Minnesota.

The incident is said to have occurred June 19, 2000, in the town of Fairmont, Minn., when Narinder Singh Bains, now 64-years-old, is alleged to have met the teenage girl inside a McDonald’s where she had come to meet a friend. 

article continues below

Trending Stories

While standing in line, a man who identified himself as “Paul Bains” offered to buy the girl something to eat before taking her back to the cab of his semi-trailer truck, according to her testimony. Inside, the man is said to have showed the teenager a pornographic movie, “which made her uncomfortable.” 

The teenage girl wanted to leave but the man began to kiss and sexually touch her above and below her clothing, according to court documents.   

“While he was touching her, the Victim told BAINS to stop and that she wanted to leave, but BAINS held her by her waist and would not let her go,” noted the Record of the Case for Prosecution, which was presented by the Attorney General of Canada on behalf of the United States of America. 

The girl testified to authorities that she was only allowed to leave the truck when she gave the man her phone number. 

Port Coquitlam-jailed truck driver to be extradited to the U.S. for alleged sexual assault
North Fraser Pretrial Centre, Port Coquitlam. Mr. Bains was committed to the facility awaiting extradition to the U.S. – Screenshot/Google Maps

In the ruling — which was handed down Sept. 23 but was released Saturday — the extradition judge described the process to extradite someone as a “modest screening device” based on the premise that a trial will take place later. The test whether to extradite relies on whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial should the alleged crimes have occurred in Canada. It does not rule on whether a person is guilty.

In his defence, Bains argued that the evidence did not specify whether the now 36-year-old woman’s narrative of the events would be based on testimony given to police 20 years ago or based on her current memory.

But the judge wrote that Bains presented no evidence that showed the woman’s testimony was “manifestly unreliable or defective” and that enough “evidence exists upon which a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could return a verdict of guilty.”

Bains was committed into custody at North Fraser Pretrial Centre in Port Coquitlam the day of the ruling. It’s now up to the Minster of Justice whether to surrender Bains to the United States and, failing appeal, that could happen as early as the last week of October.

Plans for huge rise in HGV trips in and out of quarry are blocked

The plans to increase lorry movements in and out of Hadleigh Quarry have been blocked Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

The plans to increase lorry movements in and out of Hadleigh Quarry have been blocked Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Archant

Proposals to increase lorry trips in and out of Hadleigh Quarry by around 1,500% have been blocked by planners.

Hadleigh Quarry dates back to 1951 Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWNHadleigh Quarry dates back to 1951 Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Suffolk County Council’s development and regulation committee met on Wednesday to discuss plans by JT Few Plant Hire and Buffalo Crow to increase HGV movements at the site in Aldham Mill Hill.

The quarry currently has a capacity of 1,000 movements per year, the equivalent to four a day.

But the application proposed drastically increasing that number to around 60 a day – 30 trips in and 30 trips out.

The plans originally proposed increasing capacity to up to 20,000 trips per year and 80 a day, though the number was revised down following a committee meeting in July.

Peter Dawes, representing the applicants, said the plant owners had altered their initial plans and were aiming to increase the number of HGV movements to meet demand for materials.

MORE: Residents raise concerns about plans for huge rise in HGV traffic at quarry

He said: “The limit represents a clear, unambiguous maximum limit for HGVs and gives the applicants the flexibility to respond to changes in market conditions.”

You may also want to watch:

Hadleigh residents had voiced a catalogue of concerns over the plans for the quarry, which dates back to 1951.

Objections from people all over the town were submitted to the county council, with many fears relating to noise and dust pollution and road safety.

Hadleigh Town Council and Aldham, Whatfield and Chattisham and Hintlesham parish councils all formally outlined their opposition to the scheme.

Carol Schleip, Hadleigh town councillor, told the meeting the alterations to the plans were only a “small reduction” and would represent a “significant increase” in lorry movements.

Mick Fraser, county councillor for Hadleigh, raised fears the plans would lead to an increase in collisions Aldham Mill Hill and on the A1071 if they were approved.

While he welcomed proposed widening of the road and the planned introduction of road markings, Mr Fraser said the junction would be made “unsafe”.

He said: “The increase in slow moving HGVs is only going to increase that risk. This junction must be improved more.”

The committee voted seven against the proposals and three in favour, citing concerns over access, highway safety and the likely increase in noise disturbance as reasons for refusal.

MORE: Lorry activity at quarry could increase by 1,500% if plans are permitted


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Financial Daily Dose 9.15.2020

Federal authorities are prepping to “reprimand Citigroup Inc. for failing to improve its risk-management systems—an expansive set of technology and procedures designed to detect problematic transactions, risky trades and anything else that could harm t…